This is exhibit #1 - from the side of the road. I had to figure out what the heck it was first. I "think" it's a men's suit valet, but it was very worn and dirty. Once I got it home, stuck a pumpkin on it for a quick photo shootAnyway I took apart the bones and ended up with this:
(don't know why a pumpkin but it was handy) I got down to the dirty work.
Okay it looks pretty darn dirty and I am thinking what the heck am I doing with this stupid thing!? I got out some cleaning supplies and went to work on it ... and turned it from grimy old this:
to sparkling clean this...
Okay, so I got rid of the grossness factor but what to do with the rest of the rusty old brassy junk!?
I sanded, wiped down and then spray painted it a Rustoleum Hammered Silver color that turned out pretty good and after I put it back together it actually looked pretty decent again. Here it is with it's new refreshed modern life and a photo shoot:
I really envisioned something like this for My Love and now that I have completed the transformation, where am I going to put it? Would My Love really use it? Again, would he ever use it?, and excuse my language, but what the HECK was I thinking - picking up this piece of garbage!!! :
Probably not... although he has a real job, he's not so much a suit every day type of guy (who am I kidding?) - he's more of a laid-back luau type:
Awww...that was our first Luau together! Anyway, back to the drawing board so I had a bright idea to scrap all of the metal and throw it to the curb.
I could use it as a time-out chair. She looks like she is really in trouble, doesn't she?
I then found inspiration in this:
And a trip to Home Depot and a little over $5 later I ended up with this:
Wait, not that! Buttercup decided to take a cute picture of me spraypainting
It eventually turned into this... a cute little ottoman to put my Stay at Home Mom snackie Bon-Bons and Tea on! Okay, really brownies and Coke but you get the picture!
Well, I know, I know - a bit indecisive here but I still do not like it. I think it's the silver legs that are throwing me off. So after it was shoved in the closet for a few weeks, I broke it out again and quickly spray painted the legs a dark chocolate brown this afternoon (doesn't show in pics very well).
Here is how it looks now! And that's how it will stay. Probably not even worth the $5 legs on it but it will have to do.
During the writing of this post my
da*n dog decided to swipe one of the finished legs off of the painting table and bit some chunks out of it while I was frantically chasing him around the back yard. I am sure my neighbors now think I am a lunatic by now! You can't see it in the picture because it's strategically on the back-side. At this point I AM DONE! Not wasting any more time on this so called "simple" project! You win some, you lose some!
Yet, I still experienced joy during the DIY adventure.
Finally in the end, guess what (I promise no more pictures)! I am putting it out on my curb. Maybe someone else can get more use out of it!
Happy Treasure Hunting!