Monday, May 18, 2015

DIY Knockoff Wood Shim Starburst Mirror

Hi friends!  It is time again for another Knockoff Tour and today I am sharing a project that I have been wanting to do for a very, very long time! 

It's My version of the DIY Knockoff Wood Shim Starbust Mirror! 



It turned out big (42" wide) , it turned out beautiful (just like the retail version at $300) and I just love it!  You'll have to step back and take another look to really appreciate how large it is!  
Let me show you...



Isn't it gorgeous! 

I worked on it almost the entire weekend!
(in between dress shopping for my 8th grader's dance, a bathing suit for myself, attending a b'day party, refinishing a dresser, date night with my hubby and lots of rain!)

But I was determined to finish in time to show you today and so glad that I pushed on! 


It was actually super easy but only because of the complete step by step instructions that I found over at Infarrantly Creative!  I would love to share my own tutorial but after reading Beckie's I realized that I wouldn't do it justice. 

Supply List: 
8 packages of wood shims
3 1/2 tubes of Liquid Nails adhesive
1 cut piece of 1/4" luan
1 decorative mirror
Minwax Woodfinish Spray in Golden Oak

Tools: 
electric palm sander
mini sander
jigsaw


Here are a few tips and experiences that I have to share for this project: 

* Infarrantly Creative (IC) sanded and stained all of her shims first.  I sanded the entire piece with the palm sander once I had all of the shims glued together.  Her way is pretty tedius but does give a much smoother result on the edges.    I love the rustic look of mine so was pleased with how it turned out. 
* (IC) stained her shims in four different colors before adhering the pieces together making her starburst have a beautiful contrast. My shims were pretty diverse to begin with so I left them as is and then sprayed my entire piece with the Minwax Woodfinish Spray. It was super easy and quick and I loved the result.  It also dried super fast.
*Make sure your back piece (the luan board) is just a few inches shy of the width of the starburst.  Mine only covered about 3/4 of the backside making it a bit more flimsy.  I ended up cutting an additional piece for extra support.
* I cannot stress enough that if the adhesive product states to allow 24-48 hours to dry then I would recommend to allow the entire drying period.  I got pretty anxious to prop my mirror up for photos but realized I needed to wait much longer to allow it all to properly dry! 


Whew!  The above details make it seem a lot more difficult than it really is. 
Just be sure to have lots of patience and stick with it and it will turn out beautiful. 



I am so glad I have finally been able to work on this project.
I couldn't be more pleased!


Now for some more projects inspired by familiar high end stores!


Let's see what some of my friends have been up to...


Sharing!
The Kim Six Fix









Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Post a Comment

You might also like...